The world’s only satellite communicator with navigation built-in.
Find your way there and back, every time.
The inReach Explorer lets you navigate, create waypoints and log your trip, as well as plan, track and share your journey with friends and family. In addition to these features, the rugged handheld device allows you to send and receives messages, provides GPS tracking, and offers SOS capabilities anywhere in the world through the Iridium satellite network.
Work Alone Solution
For business and government, inReach Explorer offers a reliable two-way connection for routine, check-in and emergency communication, as well as routing, navigation and track-back features.
The inReach Explorer has all of the features of the inReach SE, plus built-in navigation capabilities to get you there and back – every time. With inReach Explorer you’ll be able to:
- Create or view routes including distance and bearing information.
- Navigate a route, to a waypoint, or find your way back with a high-detail breadcrumb trail.
- Create or view waypoints to mark key locations such as a campsite or vehicle location.
- Plan your route(s) and waypoints ahead of time using the Explore portal and then share your journey with others to allow them to follow along.
- Send and receive 160-character text messages to cell numbers or email addresses worldwide.
- Trigger an SOS, receive a delivery confirmation, and communicate with our 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center to provide and receive critical updates.
- Select your tracking interval, track your progress, and share your GPS location, elevation and speed with others.
It also offers:
- A color screen and virtual keyboard, providing full, free-form texting capabilities to any cell phone number or email address, social media posting, the ability to change service modes and configure user settings – all without the need for a paired, companion device.
- A sleek, pocket-sized design, intuitive LED indicator for satellite availability, audible message notifications, and a long-lasting internal rechargeable lithium battery for ultimate convenience and portability.
- 100% global communications coverage via the Iridium satellite network, with no gaps, fringe or weak signal areas.
- Optional paired mode provides access to free downloadable topographic maps and NOAA charts.
- A line up of accessories including cases, mounts and chargers.
inReach GPS Integration
- Accurate to +/- 5 meters.
- Enables follow-me/find-me tracking and location.
- Embeds user’s GPS location in all sent messages.
- For iOS and Android users, the inReach GPS signal is relayed to the companion phone or mobile device. This increases accuracy over that of companion device’s native GPS, and eliminates
- GPS-related battery drain on companion device.
- Add contacts to your Explore account to create an address book and sync it to your inReach.
- Access your mobile device’s address book with the Earthmate app.
- Messaging is not restricted to address book contacts; send to any email address, cell phone number or other inReach user.*
Compatible inReach Communication Platforms
- Send and receive text messages to/from:
- Cell phones (SMS)*
- Email contacts
- Other inReach users
- MapShare (Explore portal)
- GEOS International Emergency Rescue Coordination Center
MapShare is the online web portal where the follow-me/find-me tracking and location results are displayed.
You select who you want your followers to be and choose your desired privacy settings.
You configure your tracking at intervals from 10 minutes to 4 hours.
Your clickable track points include: speed, course, and elevation.
Followers can view your tracks or location on their choice of aerial imagery or DeLorme topographic maps.
Protection Against SOS False Alarms
According to search and rescue authorities, 90% of all SOS alerts are either inadvertent false alarms or situations that are not true emergencies.
- In the Earthmate app, the SOS screen has an electronic “safety”.
- In standalone mode, a SEND-compliant SOS button lock prevents false alarms.
- If you determine your SOS alert isn’t a true emergency, it can easily be cancelled in both paired and standalone modes.
GEOS Emergency Response
SOS messages are received by GEOS, a worldwide emergency response coordination center with 24/7/365 staffing.
Trained GEOS personnel serve as your SOS point of contact, and relay information to and from you and responders.
Tracking is automatically activated by any SOS.
Pairs with a Smartphone or Tablet
Download our free Earthmate app to your smartphone or tablet, then pair with your inReach to transform your mobile device into a global satellite communication and navigation tool:
- Real-time GPS location, tracking and text messages are overlaid on the digital maps for easy navigation and position location from anywhere in the world.
- Use an internet connection to download free topographic maps and NOAA charts on your paired mobile device. Unlike streaming maps on most cellphone apps, downloaded DeLorme maps remain cached in the Earthmate app even when you’re outside cellular coverage.
- Automatically syncs with your mobile device’s address book for easy message sending.
- View all your previous trips and messages.
Learn how to create waypoints, navigate to a waypoint or pre-planned route, utilize the compass page and plan a trip ahead of time using the Explore Portal all with your Earthmate app.
*Email, SOS and tracking functions work anywhere in the world; SMS availability may vary by country.
Dimensions: 149 mm (5.83″) H (including antenna); 63 mm (2.46″) W; 26 mm (1.02″) D (not including belt clip).
Weight: 190 g (6.7 oz) (with internal lithium polymer battery).
Waterproof and dustproof (IP67: 1 meter for 30 minutes).
Impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock).
Built-in barometric altimeter, accelerometer and digital compass.
Operational temperature: -20°C to 60°C (-4°F to 140°F).
Storage temperature: -40°C to 85°C (-40°F to 185°F).
Battery charging temperature: 0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F).
Note: For optimal battery life, DeLorme recommends that devices are stored with a charge level between 40% to 60% and temperatures between 0°C to 30°C (32°F to 86°F).
Internal lithium polymer battery (2,450 mAh capacity at 3.7 V).
Battery life (sending one track point every 10 minutes): 100 hours with internal lithium polymer battery.
Messages and track points sent via the world’s furthest-reaching satellite network.
Uses Iridium 9603 short-burst data technology.
iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android Compatibility
Made for iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad (3rd and 4th generation), iPad 2, iPad, iPad mini, and iPod touch (4th, and 5th generation).
Compatible with Android 2.2 and later.
Seasonal value and flexibility that you can afford.
No annual contracts
Switch plans any time
Suspend your service in the off-season
Note: inReach devices ship with access to inReach Canada standard rate plans and the Explore web application. (To use inReach with other compatible web apps like the DeLorme Enterprise web app, inReach must be activated with special byte-based subscription plans. Please contact us for details.)
DeLorme Earthmate App
Enables inReach-smartphone communication features
Enables free Topo North America map and NOAA nautical chart downloads
Available free online at iTunes App Store or Google Play
- Earthmate App on iPhone
- EarthMate iPhone Iteractive SOS
- Interactive SOS
- EarthMate iPhone Two Way Messaging
- Two-way messaging
- EarthMate iPhone NOAA chart
- NOAA chart
- EarthMate Android Iteractive SOS
- Interactive SOS
- EarthMate Android Two Way Messaging
- Two-way messaging
- EarthMate Android Remote Tracking
- Remote tracking
- Compatible Web Apps
- Explore Web App
When you purchase inReach and activate your choice of inReach Canada standard plan you receive access to the Explore web application.
Enterprise Web App
inReach devices are also compatible with the Enterprise web app from DeLorme. The Enterprise web app is designed for organizations that need to support and monitor a large number of inReach users, require very short tracking intervals, and want the option to monitor their own SOS alerts. To use inReach with the Enterprise web app, inReach must be activated with special byte-based subscription plans.